General Mills comes out against marriage amendment

The heads of General Mills announced they are opposing the proposed constitutional amendment would ban same-sex marriage.

The announcement makes the Minnesota-based food manufacturer one of the first large companies in the state to publically oppose the amendment. According to the Star Tribune, St. Jude’s Medical was the first large company to do so.

MPR wrote that as well Carlson Companies CEO Marilyn Carlson Nelson, and former Medtronic CEO Bill George also have publicly opposed the amendment.

In a letter to employees and the public, Ken Charles, vice president of global diversity and inclusion wrote ““We do not believe the proposed constitutional amendment is in the best interests of our employees or our state economy – and as a Minnesota-based company we oppose it.”

Charles continued, “We value diversity. We value inclusion. We always have … and we always will.”

General Mills, which is a Fortune 500-ranked company as well as one of CNN’s Top 100 Best Companies to Work for in 2012, acknowledged their could be some negative reactions from some.

“Obviously, there are strongly held views on both sides. We acknowledge those views, including those on religious grounds,” he said. “We respect and defend the right of others to disagree. But we truly value diversity and inclusion – and that makes our choice clear.”

With a major Minnesota taking sides on the issues, it’ll be interesting to see which companies come out in favor or against a divisive issue, and any potential side effects for their business.