3rd ward city council member Hofstede announces Mayor’s support

City council woman Diane Hofstede recieved Mayor R.T. Rybak's support today in her incumbent race for third ward against attorney JAcob Frey. He did not, however, officially "endorse" Hofstede.

“I've worked closely with Diane on many tough issues: tornado relief, the 35W bridge collapse, fighting crime, and the nuts and bolts of city government that aren't very visible but matter so much in our daily lives,” said Rybak in statement. “I can tell you she has the best interest of the city in her bones and works hard to make it a reality every day.”

According to the Star Tribune, Rybak praised Hofstede's work on revamping Nicollet Mall, crafting plans surrounding the Vikings stadium, and connecting East Bank to downtown with a street car.

Other council members, including council Members Lisa Goodman, Gary Schiff, Elizabeth Glidden, and Robert Lilligren endorsed Hofstede's opponent Frey in January, criticizing her "ineffective leadership."

In February, Hofstede countered with the announcement of endorsement of former Vice president Walter Mondale, U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, former U.S. Rep Martin Olav Sabo, as also  the support of the Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers Local Union 1.

At a May 4 convention, DFL delegates from the third ward, which includes Dinkytown and parts of Marcy Holmes Neighborhood, will meet and decide who will get the party's endorsement.