Reporter’s Notebook: UMPD ride-along

Here are a few things that didn’t make it into Monday’s ride along story.

·         When asked what the coolest thing he’s done as a University police officer, Daniel Farrar told the story of giving CPR to a man whose heart had stopped beating. The man is alive today.

“He still emails me,” Farrar said.

·         Farrar said because the University is in such a large city, it’s an interesting place to work as an officer. Though keeping students is a big part of his job, Farrar said students are just one piece of the picture.

Farrar said he works to protect the entire University community, including non-students for whom buildings such as Walter Library and Coffman Union are an important resource.

·         When deciding whether to ticket someone, Farrar said he takes a lot into consideration. Most importantly he said is whether someone else was impacted by the crime.

In victimless crimes, Farrar said he takes into account the suspect’s cooperation and the whether it’s likely a warning would be effective.

For example, Farrar said if someone’s tabs are expired and they have numerous previous citations for expired tabs, he’s more likely to ticket them than if they had a clean record.

·         Farrar said he’s known he wanted to be a police officer since he was in high school. Farrar said his mother has told him he worries about him at work.

“I don’t think it keeps her up at night,” he said.