Student group furthers Rice speech protest efforts

Students for a Democratic Society published a letter to University of Minnesota Police Chief Greg Hestness Sunday regarding former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s Thursday visit on its website.

The letter calls Rice a “dangerous person” and calls on University police to question her upon her visit to the University.

“From time to time, truly dangerous people do come to our campus,” the letter says. “We would like to alert you to the upcoming presence of such a person on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.”

The letter also alleges that Rice has been involved in war crimes and has committed conspiracy to torture.

Finally, the group gives a description of Rice and offers to provide a photo, adding that members “copied the Office of General Counsel on this email, who may be able to elaborate on how serious these allegations are.”

The letter comes after the University Senate voted down a proposal drafted by the group to revoke the former Secretary of State’s invitation to speak at the University, according to the Star Tribune.

Despite the controversy, Rice is still set to speak in Northrop Auditorium at 5 p.m. Thursday, which the group will protest on the building’s front plaza.