Scientists discover one of the largest dinosaurs to have lived

Not every scientist’s lab space is completely consumed by a giant dinosaur, but Kenneth Lacovara’s is.

The Dreadnoughtus, a massive prehistoric land animal, was recently excavated in Argentina, according to the Guardian.

“What we can say with certainty is this is the biggest land animal that we can actually put a number on,” Kenneth Lacovara, a paleontologist at Drexel University in Philadelphia, wrote in the Scientific Reports journal.

Scientists reported Thursday it is the most complete skeleton found in the gargantuan group known as titanosaurs, the New York Times reported.

“We’ve got 16 tons of bone in my lab right now,” ­Lacovara told the Times.

Researchers were able to unearth more than 200 bones including 45 percent of the body and 70 percent of the bones located behind the head, the New York Times said. 

“It’s a pretty good one,” Patrick O’Connor, a professor of anatomy at Ohio University not involved with the research told the New York Times. “Most often they’re not anywhere this complete.”

As large as the dinosaur was when it died some 84 and 66 million years ago, it had not even reached full growth, according to the New York Times.

Lacovara first discoved the bones in 2005 while visiting Patagonia, the Guardian said.

Lacovara and his team worked for four years escavating the skeleton, the Guardian said.

The only parts of the dinosaur’s head that were found, the Guardian said, were a tooth and a fragment of its jaw.

Now, scientists are using the remains to learn more about how the beast, which got its name from 20th century battleships, moved, the Guardian said.