Mayor Hodges cleared to support immigration reform

The Minneapolis City Council cleared Mayor Betsy Hodges to sign an amicus brief supporting President Barack Obama’s recent executive action on Immigration reform

According to a press release, the council voted on the measure to authorize Hodges to sign the brief Friday.

Hodges joins New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and over 30 more mayors across the country that support Obama’s actions on immigration reform, the release said.

“Fixing our immigration system is the right thing to do for the people that through hard work contribute to the economic prosperity of our cities,” Hodges, said in the release. “President Obama took a bold step in the right direction by easing the burden for some of those that currently live in the shadows.”

According to the Washington Times, up to 5 million illegal immigrants would be eligible to take advantage of Obama’s action.

The brief is a response to a lawsuit filed in December by states including Texas, South Dakota and Wisconsin that allege President Obama’s executive order on immigration is unconstitutional, according to the New York Times.

U.S. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Thursday that House Republicans are also planning to file a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Obama’s executive action on immigration, CNN reported.