Rand Paul announces bid for presidency

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky, officially announced his campaign to become President of The United States in his home state of Kentucky, according to the Associated Press. His announcement came in a speech that targeted both Democrats and Republicans, stating that both sides have had a hand in increasing the government’s size the Associated Press wrote. Paul criticized some Republican candidates who are considered more mainstream, asking why conservatives would nominate a “Democrat-lite.” Paul is critical of the government spending, and advocates for privacy protections. “I say the phone records of law-abiding citizens are none of their damn business,” Paul told the Associated Press of government officials. In the past, Paul has expressed concern with the size of the military, a break from his party’s stance. However, he recently proposed an increase in funding for The Pentagon. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., a backer of Paul’s campaign, said that it is very likely that Paul will go after his seat in the senate and the White House at the same time, the Associated Press reports. Full Associated Press article here: http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/298859961.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue