Jeb Bush announces presidential campaign, courts college-aged voters with social media

Former Florida Gov.  John Ellis Bush officially announced his presidential campaign for the 2016 presidential election Monday, according to an Associated Press report.

The story states that Bush’s supporters had hoped for him to hold a more dominant position amongst competing Republicans, but he has not gained a significant lead.

Time writes that Bush used the popular picture app Snapchat  as part of the messaging for the campaign that was announced at Miami Dade University, in what the article calls a move to target younger voters between the ages 18 and 34.

The article noted that other candidates have used Snapchat and other social platforms in that past. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., used the app to host the first senatorial interview on the service in January. Hillary Clinton used Spotify to share the playlist from her campaign announcement.

A CNN article compares the Bush family to the Kennedy family, as a victory for Bush would make them one of the most politically significant families in the nation's history.

However, the article also states that Bush is not leading in polls.  He's tied with Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and trails 8% behind Hillary Clinton.