Men’s Swimming and Diving at Big Ten Championships Recap — Day 1 and Day 2

Not only a top ranked team in the country and winners of three-straight Big Ten Championships, but Michigan gets an added boost for the next four days with the 2014 Big Ten Championships being hosted in Ann Arbor.

If the crowd didn't do it for them, the Wolverines made sure their presence was felt early.

Michigan took first place in the 200-yard medley relay and the 800-yard freestyle relay on Wednesday night — earning themselves 80 points to take lead of the competition early.

The Gophers took fifth in the 200-yard medley relay and finished sixth in the distance relay. Minnesota placed sixth in the overall standings.

On Thursday night though, the Gophers finally got their first event win with senior Derek Toomey finishing first in the 50-yard freestyle race with a time of 19.14 seconds.

Junior C.J. Smith placed 11th in the 500-yard freestyle while freshman Jakub Maly finished eighth in the 200-yard IM.

Minnesota also received a pair of sixth place finishes: One from sophomore diver Manny Pollard on the one-meter springboard and another from the 400-yard medley relay team.

With those performances, the Gophers moved up a spot by finishing fifth in the overall rankings with 141 points.

Michigan holds on to their top spot on the leader board with 308 points. Indiana placed second with 216 points while Ohio State rounds out the top three with 158 points. Penn State follows closely behind with 154.