Women’s Swimming and Diving at Big Ten Championships Recap — Day 2

After falling behind Indiana in the standings on the first day 74-72, the Gophers started their second day in the pool the second best way possible: tying the Hoosiers.

The points came from the Minnesota 200-yard freestyle relay team of Becca Weiland, Blake Zeiger, Erin Caflisch, and Tess Behrens that took second in the race. Wisconsin claimed the top spot with 1:28.75 with Indiana placing third with a time of 1:29.49.

Indiana claimed first in the 500-yard freestyle courtesy of senior Lindsay Vrooman with Gophers' sophomore Samantha Harding placing second. Junior Kiera Janzen took fourth.

Ohio State's Ashley Vance won the 200-yard individual medley with Michigan's Marni Oldershaw and Courtney Beidler claiming second and third. Minnesota sophomore Kierra Smith placed fourth.

Gophers' junior Becca Weiland claimed her second medal of the night by finishing second in the 50-yard freestyle behind Wisconsin's Ivy Martin.

Reigning Big Ten Diver of the Year and Minnesota senior Maggie Keefer was unable to defend her one-meter diving crown when she finished second behind Purdue's Casey Matthews.

Though the Gophers weren't able to claim first in any event on day two, they still finished the day with a commanding lead in the overall standings with 258 points. Indiana follows next with 211 points while Penn State finished third with 157.