Running back Edwards joins track team

Gophers running back Berkley Edwards is expected to be a sprinter on the men's track and field team this spring, the University confirmed. The redshirt freshman rushed for 140 yards and two touchdowns last season in addition to three receptions for 24 yards. 

Coming into the season, Edwards was seen as a playmaker who could stretch the field for Minnesota with his breakaway speed. He had a 33-yard touchdown run in the Gophers' spring game and then rattled off 60 rushing yards in Minnesota's season opener against Eastern Illinois once the 42-20 victory was well in hand. 

"It felt great. I've been waiting a whole year to get out on the field and to finally get out there cleared a lot of nerves for me," Edwards, who had to redshirt the 2013 season due to a high ankle sprain, said after the Eastern Illinois game. 

Edwards started the year off on the right foot, but struggled to make a consistent impact as the season wore on. He was hampered by a shoulder injury and saw limited reps behind the program's single-season rushing leader, David Cobb. 

It's unclear when Edwards will begin competing for the track and field team, but he has been at the past few practices and could run as soon as this Friday when Minnesota hosts the Jack Johnson Invitational.