Gophers add Davonte Fitzgerald

With two seniors penciled in as starters on the Gophers frontcourt, men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino added more depth for the future.

Pitino announced the addition of forward Davonte Fitzgerald on Tuesday, who will transfer from Texas A&M.

The 6’7, 209-pound Fitzgerald played two seasons for the Aggies, but will sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules and have two seasons of eligibility remaining starting in 2016.

“We are excited about Davonte being a Gopher,” Pitino said in a statement. “He has two years of experience playing at an extremely high level. A year off will serve him well as he gets healthy. He has great size and ability.”

Fitzgerald started six games for the Aggies and appeared in 49 games total, averaging 12.6 minutes per game. In his sophomore season, the Atlanta native averaged 7.3 points and 2.3 rebounds per game before missing the final 10 games of the season with a knee injury.

Fitzgerald will provide depth for the Gophers in the future, with presumed starting forwards Joey King and Carlos Morris set to graduate after this season.

Fitzgerald is another addition to a robust Minnesota recruiting class for the 2015-16 season, joining freshman Kevin Dorsey, Ahmad Gilbert, Jarvis Johnson, Dupress McBrayer and Jordan Murphy, and Illinois State transfer Reggie Lynch.