This week in Gophers’ sports: June 8-15

By Emily Polglaze 

Two Gopher freshmen participate in NHL Draft Combine: June 1-6/June 26

Some late-week action in men’s hockey took place as two incoming freshmen participated in the NHL Scouting Combine in Buffalo, New York, June 1-6.

Forward Tom Novak and defenseman Jack Sadek were both invited to the combine in preparation for the June 26 NHL Draft in Florida.

At the combine, potential draft picks have one-on-one interviews, medical exams, and extensive fitness testing.

Novak and Sadek each achieved a top-ten finish in two of the fitness categories.

Novak placed third in the anaerobic fatigue index category, which measures the difference between maximum and minimum physical output.

Sadek was the lead prospect of the entire combine in the skinfold test, measuring at 4% body fat.

Novak is projected by NHL Central Scouting to be the 29th overall pick in the upcoming draft, and Sadek has been ranked 79th.

Track athletes polish up for NCAA Championships: June 10-13

Athletes from the men’s and women’s track teams will put a bow on their meet-prep this week as they get ready to take on the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon, June 10-13.

From the women’s team, seven athletes will compete in four events for the Gophers.

For field events, Jess Herauf will compete in the heptathlon Wednesday and Thursday. Devin Stanford will participate in the hammer throw final on Thursday afternoon, and Nicolle Murphy will close out field action Thursday evening in the javelin throw.

The 4×400-meter relay team of Jessica Waldvogel, Emerald Egwim, Erin Hawkins and Titania Markland will run in the semifinal race Thursday evening  in the last Gopher event. If the Gophers advance, they will participate in the final 4×400-meter race on Saturday.

In men’s action, four athletes will compete during the meet.

Goaner Deng will run in the 800-meter semifinal race on Wednesday evening, with a potential final run occurring on Friday.

Gian Feretti will participate in his first NCAA Championship Meet with the hammer throw final on Wednesday afternoon.

Another first-timer, Luke Johnson, will take the field for the shot put finals on Wednesday evening.

Decathlete Luca Wieland will split his events between Wednesday and Thursday, as heptathlete Jess Herauf will also do.

Events from days one and two will be found on ESPNU and ESPN3, day three on ESPN3 and ESPN, and day four on ESPN2 and ESPN3

MLB Draft could include Gophers: June 8-10

The MLB Draft takes place June 8-10 in Seacaucus, New Jersey. Two Gophers stand a good chance to be picked during the process.

Shortstop Michael Handel is a potential draft pick who was named the Gophers’ Most Valuable Player of the Year and Batting Champion after attaining a .382 average on the season.

Handel was also awarded with All-Big Ten Second Team honors.

Ben Meyer could also be chosen in the draft. The right-handed pitcher completed his career with 288 innings pitched, putting him in second place for most pitched games by a Gopher ever, and seventh in career strikeouts with 219.

He was named Pitcher of the Year for the Gophers and finished the season with a 4.31 ERA.