Takeaways from Richard Pitino’s blog

Gophers men's basketball head coach Richard Pitino posted a blog on Wednesday morning, hitting on many topics surrounding his team in the offseason.

Minnesota's record has regressed each season under Pitino and the team finished 8-23 (2-16 Big Ten) last year, but he wrote next year's team should be the deepest and most talented he's had.

"One the court a lot of our guys got valuable minutes in pressure situations that most [freshmen] and sophomores don't get early in their careers. Much like the Timberwolves, I think our guys will take a major step forward next season," Pitino wrote.

Two transfers, center Reggie Lynch and forward Davonte Fitzgerald, will be eligible to play for Minnesota next season and the team's incoming three-man recruiting class is ranked No. 34 by ESPN.com. The Gophers were named one of five teams "on the rise" by CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein.

Here are a few notes from the rest of Pitino's blog post:

– Pitino said the Gophers have a verbal agreement in place to start a non-conference series with another Power 5 school

– Joey King is trying to get an overseas contract. Pitino said he offered him a graduate assistant position as well but made it sound like King wants to keep playing for now.

– Redshirt senior forward Charles Buggs has not participated in postseason workouts due to an arm injury

– Lynch, who had shoulder surgery in February, is out of a sling and doing workouts with his left hand

– Sophomore guard Dupree McBrayer has put on 10 pounds but Pitino wants him to add another nine

– Pitino said incoming freshman forward Michael Hurt, a Minnesota Mr. Basketball finalist, could end up as one of the best perimeter shooters on the team