University tackles campus climate

Schools leaders assembled a report aimed at improving diversity and equity on campus.
A report released Thursday highlights the need to improve the campus climate and increase diversity at the University of Minnesota.

President Eric Kaler released a campus climate report that reviewed the current level of equity and diversity at the school, and offers recommendations to create a more “welcoming” campus.

The report puts diversity as a top priority for the institution, and includes strategies like improving the retention of underrepresented faculty members and creating a program to support male students of color in their transition to the University.

The report, prepared by a group of administrators, is based on several “world café” discussions with faculty, staff and students and is the precursor to an event in February intended to engage the campus community and offer additional recommendations. 

Kaler said in an email that some changes are already underway to reform the University’s environment, including hiring more diverse faculty members. He also said he plans to work with school leaders to determine how to put other plans into action.

Despite these efforts, Kaler said there is still a long way to go in meeting campus climate goals.

“Clearly, our work is far from done,” he said in the email.