Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Hustle culture promotes an unhealthy lifestyle, causing many to burnout

Hustle culture. Most people tend to think of illicit activities and side jobs when hearing the word “hustle,” but let’s talk about the idea of hustle culture in the context of the University of Minnesota. The New York Time’s article, “Why Are Young People Pretending to Love Work?” prompted an important question: why are students boasting about workaholism when it’s quite unhealthy?

Editorial: Acknowledging racial, discriminatory historical practices on UMN campus

The Minnesota Daily Editorial Board decided we would do some digging into the University of Minnesota’s history with cultural and racial discrimination from the late 1800s into the 1970s. Looking through old copies of “The Gopher" yearbook, we found darker elements of student life. We are highlighting this part of our University's history — not to spark controversy, but to recognize the history — instead of burying it.   

Editorial: MPD continues to underserve, misunderstand victims of sexual assault

In 2016, MPD had eight sex crime detectives and 412 cases, meaning that one detective was assigned to 52 cases. Conversely, homicide cases assigned one detective for every 16 cases. This startling difference is one in a long string of neglecting sexual assault cases on the part of MPD. Sexual assault cases, like other violent crimes, require time, effort, resources and a specific skill set. However, MPD is continuously dismissing these victims and neglecting their crimes.

Editorial: UMN's responsibility to homeless community

The polar vortex has consumed Minneapolis this past week and brought record breaking cold temperatures to campus. Our classes were canceled and, though many of us kept warm at home, some did not have that luxury. On campus, it isn't uncommon to come across people who have no place to stay at night.  

Editorial: Amnesty bill strong step forward in justice for sexual assault survivors

On Monday, the Minnesota Daily reported the Minneapolis Police Department recently implemented a policy that prevents officers from citing sexual assault reporters for underage drinking, drug use and other minor offenses in an effort to aid sexual assault victims and survivors.  While Minneapolis already practiced this policy before it went into effect, the Daily's Editorial Board praises the city for formalizing the policy. We believe it is an important step in decreasing the stigma surrounding intoxication and sexual assault. 

Editorial: UMN should take initiative for student safety more often

Minnesota has faced dangerously cold temperatures this week, with Minneapolis experiencing a windchill of 50 degrees below zero midday on Tuesday and just over 40 degrees below zero Wednesday at noon. Even with the polar vortex, many students feared classes would remain in session due to the University of Minnesota's seemingly strict policy on class cancellations and campus closures. 

Editorial: Politicians should be using social media to reach younger voters

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez frequently uses her Instagram to interact with her many followers — she has over two million. Ocasio-Cortez, who says she takes no corporate money for her political campaign, is known to do Instagram live broadcasts. During them, she answers questions and gives political insight — even while making macaroni and cheese. 

Editorial: Joan Gabel a great finalist for next UMN President

The Board of Regents announced Joan Gabel, provost at the University of South Carolina, as the sole finalist in the University’s search for a new president last week. In the days following the announcement, she's emphasized the importance of service, research and teaching. Just as important, if chosen Gabel will be the first woman president at the University.