Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Do not privatize police

Police in the U.S. must change from the way they are today, but without hawkish vigilance, we risk leaving the door open to something that can be much worse: large-scale privatized policing.

Editorial: Remembering the importance of self-care, even as a student

Self-care and student life are at direct odds. While we run from class to work to social events, our bodies and mental health take a toll. The next two weeks are bound to be the busiest for students, faculty and staff. Everyone needs self-care reminders, so here's your reminder and tips from the Minnesota Daily's Editorial Board. 

Editorial: Legislature must go through traditional regent election process

State legislators are dragging their feet deciding who will fill the four open seats for the University of Minnesota's Board of Regents — an entity responsible for carrying out some of the most pressing problems facing the University. If the House cannot decide on the four new regents soon, decision-making power falls to Gov. Tim Walz, according to reporting from the Minnesota Daily. Appointed regents would only serve a two-year term, as opposed to the typical six-year term. 

Editorial: Applying to unpaid internships? Here’s what you need to know

Whether you’re searching for a post-graduation internship or a summer gig, knowing your rights (and your worth) as an intern is highly important — especially when it comes to unpaid internships. Don’t get tricked into an internship that isn’t what you think it is. Internships are clear stepping stones in landing a full-time job, but that doesn’t mean you must settle for an unpaid one. 

Editorial: Fully fund the University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota officials have been feeling the heat lately when it comes to raises in tuition. In January, the Minnesota Daily reported President Kaler anticipates a 2 percent resident tuition hike for next year if the University’s biennial budget is met. This announcement has not come without backlash. Lawmakers have questioned the continued tuition hikes and many students have shared their hesitation or opposition.