Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Journalism is not immune to elitist bias

Journalists across the country were abuzz last week when Theodore Kim, who is director of newsroom fellowships at the The New York Times, tweeted a list of the "best" colleges that produce the most “consistently productive” journalists.

Editorial: Tightening restrictions on vaping is a step in the right direction

The Minnesota Daily reported Sunday that lawmakers are looking to tighten restrictions on vaping. Under the proposed bill, vaping would be banned in places where cigarettes are restricted. The bill would broaden the Minnesota Clean Indoor Air Act and limit youth smoking. We believe tightening vaping restrictions is needed to meet these goals.

Editorial: Support for renaming campus buildings

A University of Minnesota task force called for the renaming of four buildings on campus in a report released Wednesday. The Minnesota Daily Editorial Board fully supports the task force’s recommendation. We urge University President Eric Kaler and Executive Vice President and Provost Karen Hanson to follow the task force's report in their upcoming recommendation to the Board of Regents, as well as encourage the regents to follow the task force's recommendation. 

Editorial: Hustle culture promotes an unhealthy lifestyle, causing many to burnout

Hustle culture. Most people tend to think of illicit activities and side jobs when hearing the word “hustle,” but let’s talk about the idea of hustle culture in the context of the University of Minnesota. The New York Time’s article, “Why Are Young People Pretending to Love Work?” prompted an important question: why are students boasting about workaholism when it’s quite unhealthy?

Editorial: Acknowledging racial, discriminatory historical practices on UMN campus

The Minnesota Daily Editorial Board decided we would do some digging into the University of Minnesota’s history with cultural and racial discrimination from the late 1800s into the 1970s. Looking through old copies of “The Gopher" yearbook, we found darker elements of student life. We are highlighting this part of our University's history — not to spark controversy, but to recognize the history — instead of burying it.   

Editorial: MPD continues to underserve, misunderstand victims of sexual assault

In 2016, MPD had eight sex crime detectives and 412 cases, meaning that one detective was assigned to 52 cases. Conversely, homicide cases assigned one detective for every 16 cases. This startling difference is one in a long string of neglecting sexual assault cases on the part of MPD. Sexual assault cases, like other violent crimes, require time, effort, resources and a specific skill set. However, MPD is continuously dismissing these victims and neglecting their crimes.

Editorial: UMN's responsibility to homeless community

The polar vortex has consumed Minneapolis this past week and brought record breaking cold temperatures to campus. Our classes were canceled and, though many of us kept warm at home, some did not have that luxury. On campus, it isn't uncommon to come across people who have no place to stay at night.  

Editorial: Amnesty bill strong step forward in justice for sexual assault survivors

On Monday, the Minnesota Daily reported the Minneapolis Police Department recently implemented a policy that prevents officers from citing sexual assault reporters for underage drinking, drug use and other minor offenses in an effort to aid sexual assault victims and survivors.  While Minneapolis already practiced this policy before it went into effect, the Daily's Editorial Board praises the city for formalizing the policy. We believe it is an important step in decreasing the stigma surrounding intoxication and sexual assault.