Letter to the Editor

Articles

Whitewashing the defend public housing column

Journalism is a key aspect of our democracy, and the only way for accountability to exist is for journalists to publicize the human rights violations that public and private actors conduct in our communities. This column is crucial to unifying our community to fight for the protection of these residents, and by choosing to whitewash the original article, you are sending a message that you do not care about the victims of this story, and the reader has no reason to either. 

Letter to the Editor: How the Task Force invented an anti-Semite

The report of the task force on building names heaped astonishing invective on the memory of Edward Nicholson (“Dean Nick”), the University’s first dean of student affairs who served from 1917 to 1941. Nicholson Hall is named for him, and the task force recommended that his name be stripped from the building because of his moral depravity. The accusations made by the task force include the following: “Antisemitism drove significant aspects of his conduct in office;” he “often target[ed] Jewish and Black students whom he labeled ‘communists;’” he “played a significant role in institutionalizing antisemitism in his official actions;” he displayed “personal bigotry;” he “played a major role in providing [a Republican politician] with detailed information about ‘Jew Reds’ at the University of Minnesota;” and his policies were "built on strains of … racism that were deep seated in Minnesota and the United States.” That is just for starters.

Letter to the Editor: The time to rename Coffman is now

The Board of Regents announced that they will be holding a last-minute special meeting this Friday in McNamara Alumni Center at 1 p.m. to discuss and, more than likely, act on President Eric Kaler’s recommendations to un-name Coffman Union, Coffey Hall, Nicholson Hall and Middlebrook Hall.

Letter: Eliminating counseling wait-list is a priority following Daily article.

I would like to thank author and reporter Michelle Griffith and the students she interviewed for sharing their feelings in last week’s Minnesota Daily article, “‘I am not alone’: UMN students’ silent grief." I think the article pointed out a position on the spectrum of student mental health that we don’t think about very often — grief.

Letter: A note to the anonymous person who performed CPR on my brother

On Thursday, March 14, 2019, at about 1:30 p.m., my brother was walking through Nicholson Hall on his way to his class on the history of religion. He was taking advantage of the University’s auditing program for people over 65 years of age. He loved history of all types and was doing research for a book that focused on the history of the world’s religions.

Letter: Is the task force report on renaming fair to Coffman?

As most people are aware, the Task Force on Building Names and Institutional History recently recommended to the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents that four university buildings be stripped of their names, because the four men commemorated by the buildings didn’t live up to the standards the University community has a right to expect. Several regents caused a stir when they questioned the quality of the report on the basis of which they have been asked to arrive at their decision.