Letter to the Editor

Articles

Letter to the Editor: The time to rename Coffman is now

The Board of Regents announced that they will be holding a last-minute special meeting this Friday in McNamara Alumni Center at 1 p.m. to discuss and, more than likely, act on President Eric Kaler’s recommendations to un-name Coffman Union, Coffey Hall, Nicholson Hall and Middlebrook Hall.

Letter: Eliminating counseling wait-list is a priority following Daily article.

I would like to thank author and reporter Michelle Griffith and the students she interviewed for sharing their feelings in last week’s Minnesota Daily article, “‘I am not alone’: UMN students’ silent grief." I think the article pointed out a position on the spectrum of student mental health that we don’t think about very often — grief.

Letter: A note to the anonymous person who performed CPR on my brother

On Thursday, March 14, 2019, at about 1:30 p.m., my brother was walking through Nicholson Hall on his way to his class on the history of religion. He was taking advantage of the University’s auditing program for people over 65 years of age. He loved history of all types and was doing research for a book that focused on the history of the world’s religions.

Letter: Is the task force report on renaming fair to Coffman?

As most people are aware, the Task Force on Building Names and Institutional History recently recommended to the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents that four university buildings be stripped of their names, because the four men commemorated by the buildings didn’t live up to the standards the University community has a right to expect. Several regents caused a stir when they questioned the quality of the report on the basis of which they have been asked to arrive at their decision. 

Letter to the Editor: In response to regents' reaction

If the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents has concerns regarding the objectivity and content of the report by the Task Force on Building Names and Institutional History, it is the Board’s responsibility to collect more information and deliberate on the best path forward.

Letter to the Editor: Renaming campus buildings

American professors, even famous ones, pick up their office phone themselves. That was one fascinating lesson I learned when I called the U.S. as a graduate student in Germany, long before the advent of email. Apparently, they didn’t use secretaries to fend off students like their colleagues in the Old World. Even more surprising, the Americans talked to you like a fellow human being, no matter how low you ranked on the academic food chain. 

Letter: Recycling is not the only answer

I encourage others to look closely at the plastic they use in their life. The best advice I can give to someone who is trying to be environmentally friendly is to do a plastic audit. This shows you how much waste you dispose of throughout the course of your day. Then, you should try to find sustainable alternatives when it's time to replace those items. 

Letter: Vote 'yes' on UMN tenured faculty sexual misconduct referendum

Starting Monday, students can vote on this important referendum: “Should tenured faculty be held to the same standard as non-tenured faculty and staff when accused of sexual misconduct involving a student?" As President of the Council of Graduate Students, which sponsored this referendum, please allow me to explain why we urge you to vote "yes."

Letter: Regents are disappointing, but not surprising, on Coffman rename effort

After one of the longest reviews of its kind in the history of American higher education, the 125-page report submitted by the Task Force on Building Names and Institutional History is being dismissed by several members of the University of Minnesota Board of Regents as making “broad-brush accusations." As someone who has advocated for college students for over five years, including in our University Student Senate, this reaction is not surprising.