The Minnesota Daily Editorial Board

Articles

Editorial: Breaking the link between grad school and the GRE

An increasing number of university life sciences departments and medical schools have decided to get rid of the GRE requirement that was previously a necessity for admission to their programs — including the University of Minnesota. These findings beg the question of whether additional graduate programs, such as those in the physical sciences or liberal arts, should, or will, follow suit.

Editorial: Reviewing the Task Force report

After an attempt to better understand this position, it was brought to our attention that some of the research that went into the Task Force Report on Renaming Buildings was questionable. 

Editorial: We need to learn from the renaming process

On Friday afternoon, campus was at a stand-still as the regents decided to take up one of the most important decisions our campus has faced in recent years: should the University of Minnesota rename four buildings that bear the name of controversial historical figures?

Editorial: College admissions shouldn’t get too personal

Applying for college is a rigorous process that can be overwhelming for many prospective students. But it can be particularly stressful for students who have experienced trauma or other hardships in the years leading up to sending out applications. 

Editorial: Avoiding harrowing housing situations is harder than it looks, but here are a few tips

Last week, the Minnesota Daily reported on newly discovered potential health risks to workers who installed carpets at The Arrow Apartments. Though many situations aren’t this extreme, predatory landlords still try to swindle students into a bad lease. To avoid these situations, consider the following tips provided by the University's Student Legal Services and Off Campus Living. 

With recent slight, time for Star Tribune's C.J. to go embarrass another city

On Tuesday, Jana Shortal — host of KARE 11’s show “Breaking the News” — ran a segment that delved into the gruesome, heartbreaking death of the long-missing, abducted childJacob Wetterling. In the segment, Shortal was wearing a gray blazer, polka dot shirt and a pair of jeans that have now flirted with infamy. What she was wearing would not have mattered had notorious Star Tribune gossip columnist C.J.

Two-wheeled tension

Last week, The Minnesota Daily reported that the University of Minnesota Police Department has been cracking down on student cyclists. The vibrant response from our readership shows that the role of bikes on campus deserves more public discussion.