New CLA dean announced

John Coleman is chair of the University of Wisconsin-Madison political science department.

The University of Minnesota announced Wednesday that John Coleman is set to become the next College of Liberal Arts dean, pending Board of Regents approval.

The appointment of Coleman, who has served as political science department chair at the University of Wisconsin-Madison since 2007, is set for July 31.

“John has a track record as a trustworthy and highly effective academic leader, one whose style is thoughtful and collaborative,” Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Karen Hanson said in a University release. She also called Coleman “a strong and persuasive advocate for the liberal arts.”

Coleman was one of four final candidates for the dean spot. The search, which began over the summer, culminated in public interviews this fall. In his interview, Coleman emphasized his dedication to the liberal arts, calling himself a “fierce defender and believer” in their value. His first step as dean, he said, will be to attract faculty members to do research in CLA.

Coleman will replace interim dean Raymond Duvall, who stepped in after James Parente left the position June 30.

CLA is the University’s largest college, with more than 15,000 students.

“CLA has the potential to lead the nation in building new paradigms for research and education in the liberal arts,” Hanson said in the release. “I look forward to working with John and the University community to advance the excellence and vitality of CLA, to insure its centrality and impact.”